Starting a side-business can be tricky.
We struggle knowing how to go about it, what to focus on, how to find the time...
Who are you in this scenario?
Probably a high-performing person with a deep knowing; that you can use more of your potential than you do now.
You might feel stuck in how to get started on something else.
If that rings true for you.
This resource has your name written all over it!
This guide focuses on the most important aspects of what it takes to create a side-hustle. Bookmark this page for future reference as more are resources are continuously added.
Chapter 1: Define Your Current Status
Before jumping into the fun stuff, let's define what your status quo is. If you don't know how to deliver value - the rest of the process will be difficult.
Where can you add value? What do people thank you for?
- The Ultimate Guide to Doing Work That Matters: ConsciousCareerist
- 20 Questions to Know Yourself Better And Unlock the Immsense Potential Within: Dumb Little Man
- Focus on What You Are Good at and Nothing Else: Neil Patel, Quick Sprout
- First Step: Know Who You Are: ConsciousCareerist
- How to Find Out What You’re Good at – Jon Acuff / Business Insider
Chapter 2: Decide What Side-Business to Create
The next step is to decide on where to start. It does not have to be - nor should it be - big. Just a first step towards a concept, or an idea.
Here are articles to help you get your ideas flowing.
- Becoming an Idea Machine: James Altucher
- 50 Side-Businesses You Can Start on Your Own: The Simple Dollar
- Starting a Business: The Idea Phase - Entrepreneur.com
- 10 Business Archetypes: How to Choose a Business Model That Makes Sense: Fizzle
- Psst, Want to Start a Side Gig? Here's What You Need to Know Now - Forbes
- Udemy.com: Browse for inspiration. What course would you teach?
Chapter 3: Be Ruthless With Your Precious Time
One of the most common excuses reasons to not start a side-hustle is that of time. Before committing to a project though, it is important to check how you spend your time.
You will need to put hours in your business. The first step is to figure out how and where to carve out those hours. Because you do have them! It's just about priorities, and awareness.
- 10 Ways Meditation Improves Productivity: Tech.co
- 10 Benefits of Rising Early and How to do it: ZenHabits
- If you're too busy to meditate, read this: Harvard Business Review
- 7 Small and Highly Doable Actions You Can Take Today (to Disconnect From The Noise): ConsciousCareerist
- Work Smarter, Not Harder. 21 Time Management Tips to Hack Productivity: CreativityPost
- How to Manage Time with 10 Tips that Work: Entrepreneur.com
Chapter 4: Build a supportive environment and create effective habits
Can the person you are today, do the work you wish to do?
The truth might be: maybe not.
On any growth endeavour, we must trust to put one foot in front of the other.
Skills, support, practice, courage…. these grow with us as we take these steps.
For a long time, I was curious about online businesses. I knew no one. Today, I have several online communities, a mastermind group, and friends around the world in a similar niche. It has changed everything.
Start looking for people you want to do. Today.
"You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with".
- Amazing Tools (for online Productivity): ConsciousCareerist
- Power of the MasterMind: Napoleon Hill
- How to Create your Ultimate Mastermind Group: LiveYourLegend
- Launch a Mastermind: Michael Hyatt
Chapter 5: Getting your first customer (Explore and Iterate)
Before anything else:
Get your first customer.
Don't spend three months building a site before knowing what value you provide. Instead, trial and error on small projects.
When I fell in love with coaching, I had coaching clients before setting up a website. I offered to coach for free, and eventually started charging. As I got clients results, I could charge according to the value I provided.
Revisit this question:
What do people thank you for?
Specific advice, Facebook ads or explaining difficult concepts? Let’s look at how to get your first customer.
Chapter 6: Should I Go Full-time? (Case Studies & Inspiration)
Here are a collection of stories of people who have done the switch from side-hustling to full-time gig. They are hand-picked for your inspiration, and modelling.
- Why I Quit My Day Job to Grow my Side-Business: FreshBooks
- How to Find Time to Start a Side-Business: MyWifeQuitHerJob.com